SSL Certification and HTTPS was originally announced by Google back in 2014 and as of October this year, will be absolutely necessary for your website to appear in search engine rankings. SSL (or Secure Socket Layer) not only ensures your customers' safety when they visit your website, but improves your position on Google and helps generate new sales and enquiries. So our latest Website Tip 101 is:
21. How secure is your website?
The value of your company's online reputation can not be under estimated, what message do you want to convey to your customers? Perception is everything. By providing a secure server for your site's customers and visitors, your company is perceived as trustworthy and secure. This is essential for all websites making online sales and collecting visitor personal information.
Why you need an SSL Certificate:
- It provides a secure connection between a website's web server and site visitors' browsers, helping to prevent scams and fraudulent activity.
- Search engines, site users and browsers favour secure websites.
- It helps a website to load faster, which is another ranking factor.
- It's for the benefit of your customers to reassure them your website (& ultimately you!) can be trusted to securely safeguard any information they share on your website.
- Websites with the following features that encourage customer engagement MUST be secure - Create an Account, make an online purchase, submit credit card information, sign up for a Newsletter or Search the website.
- The most popular browser, Google Chrome, will begin displaying a warning pop up when a visitor is about to visit an unsecured website.
Websitewise are offering FREE SSL Certification on all new website developments, for both new and existing clients. So take advantage of this special offer before your website starts to slip in search engines, contact us for further information or to schedule an appointment.